Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Iris Skies

Again, working further with the fabric that I previously parfait dyed using RIT dyes,
I've created a series that I plan to mount separately on 1 1/2" deep canvases for hanging.

 The RIT dyes produced  fabric that was almost ethereal in appearance. This was fun to work with in contrast with a Denyse Schmidt print, alongside a Kona cotton, a commercial solid and a batik.
By simplifying my color pallet, I found that this piecing technique created framing that looked like portals, gates or entrances to the skies.
I used a few directional lines of stitching to help guide the viewer's eye. 

Hmmm? They still need something more. Maybe another layer. Some paint? Distressing? . . .
Not really done yet. 
 Iris Skies
3 - 12" x 12" x 1/12"

2 comments:

  1. Diane, I love the direction your work has taken! Rit dye?? I used it 25 years ago to overdye a calico and shall have to see if I still have the quilt I made and whether, as everyone predicted, it has faded. Have not done ice or snow dyeing, despite seeing the interesting results others have gotten.

    Cheers!
    Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the kind words, Rayna. Recently, I have been choosing projects to use up the materials and supplies that I already own. Thus, the RIT dye - something leftover from my Mom's stash years ago. I'm interested in seeing what happens with what you are working on now - Best wishes! diane

    ReplyDelete